What is HypnoBirthing?
The overall effect of practicing HypnoBirthing techniques is that birthing parents are better able to appreciate the benefits of calm, gentle birthing, making the experience a joyful one for mother, baby, and birth companion—benefits that can last a life time.
Contemporary women in our culture hold an unprecedented fear of giving birth, too often associating it with excruciating pain, thereby causing their bodies to become unable to perform what should be a normal physiological function. HypnoBirthing is a unique method of relaxed, natural childbirth education enhanced by self‑hypnosis and guided imagery techniques that allow women to use their natural abilities to bring about safer, easier, and more comfortable birthing.
HypnoBirthing techniques teach woman how to release all prior programming about birth to free herself of limiting thoughts and emotions that lead to pain-causing fear and resistant muscles. When giving birth with HypnoBirthing, a mother is not in a trance or asleep but instead in a state of deep relaxation—awake, aware, and fully in control.
In a series of five confidence-building classes, they learn what makes labour hurt; but more importantly, they learn the logic behind why labor doesn’t have to hurt and what they can do about it. Mums and their birth companions study the physical and chemical changes that occur over a period of time when fear and anxiety are allowed to accumulate. This awareness of the fight, flight, or freeze response helps them to choose calm. They practice HypnoBirthing techniques in class, designed to help them see the relationship between fear and the possibility of pain. These exercises become life skills that also shore up their parenting skills. Armed with this knowledge, the pattern of calming techniques and steps that they learn helps them to create endorphins and avoid the effect of the negative hormones that cause their bodies to constrict, rather than open.
The five-week series includes a HypnoBirthing techniques textbook, relaxation CD, and everything you need to know to reconnect with your birthing instincts and create an amazing birthing experience.
The HypnoBirthing Advantage
- Teaches you to achieve deep levels of relaxation to eliminate the fear that causes tension and, thus, pain;
- Greatly reduces and often eliminates the need for chemical painkillers and drugs;
- Shortens the first phase of labour;
- Helps keep oxygen being supplied to your baby during birthing;
- Reduces the need for an episiotomy;
- Reduces and often eliminates fatigue during labour;
- Empowers you with techniques to achieve a gentle and calm birth for yourself and your baby;
- Gives your birthing companion an integral role in the birthing;
- Teaches breathing techniques that allow you to gently breathe your baby into the world without the violence of hard, physical pushing; and
- Leaves you feeling alert, fresh, awake and with energy throughout labour and after birth.
The result? A calm, relaxed, comfortable and beautiful birth experience.
HypnoBirthing Mothers Birth More Comfortably
- 77% of HypnoBirthing mothers who birthed vaginally did so without an epidural;
- 45% of HypnoBirthing mothers birthed in under eight hours;
- 17% of HypnoBirthing mothers birthed via C-section, compared with the national average of 32%;
- 9.5% of HypnoBirthing mothers chose to birth in the comfort of their homes (national average is less than 1%);
- 6% of HypnoBirthing mothers chose to birth in freestanding birth centres (national average is less than 1%);
(data provided by HypnoBirthing Institute, between 2005-2010).